A selection of entertainment in McKinney this week, courtesy of the McKinney Convention & Visitors Bureau:
Dinos & the Village (opens Saturday): T-Rex and his friends are back at the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary starting Saturday, Sept. 14. The animatronic dinosaurs sit along the Heard nature trails, captivating visitors with the sights and sounds of dinosaurs as you step back in time! The exhibit opens Saturday. Also open: the new permanent outdoor educational village, gifted to the Heard from the Dallas Arboretum.
Free Band Concert (Saturday): The McKinney Community Band brings tunes from favorite movies, TV shows and Broadway to the Courtroom Theater at the McKinney Performing Arts Center in a freeSaturday night concert. The all-volunteer band takes the stage at 7:30 p.m. to perform pieces including “Les Miserables,” “Star Trek,” “Magnificent Seven,” “How to Train Your Dragon,” “Phantom of the Opera,” and “Bolero.”
Shrek the Musical (Thursday through Saturday): The hilarious story of everyone’s favorite ogre comes to new life on the stage. In a faraway kingdom turned upside down, things get ugly when an unseemly ogre – not a handsome prince – shows up to rescue a feisty princess. At Heard-Craig Hall, 306 N. Church. Thursday-Saturday at 7:15 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday at 2:15 p.m.
Flea Market Shopping (Friday through Sunday): at the following venues. Click the links below to access the different venue websites:
- Third Monday Trade Days -Friday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Old Red Lumberyard & Fringe -Friday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- TreasureSpotters, Dumpster Diva and the other Flour Mill District vendors. Hours vary.
2nd Saturday Art Gallery Exhibits
- Garret Gallery: Works by “Friday Oil Painters.” 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361.
- Imaging on the Square: Various local artists. 109 S. Tennessee; 972-548-7575.
- Orisons Fine Art & Framing: McKinney Through the Eyes of an Artist: Original Views by Jeni Tomlinson and Bob Bruu. Also, abstract art by Logan Larsen in upstairs gallery. 110 E. Louisiana; 972-529-1441.
Main Street Magic & Fun Company: Featuring the amazing magician Doc Grimes and Friends as they share a little magic and spirit. Tickets to both shows are $10 each and include a complimentary glass of wine for adults. Seating is limited so call 214-274-7802 for reservations.