By TSB Staff
McKinney Fire Department and Police officials were on the scene for about three hours Monday at the southeast corner of Eldorado and Stonebridge Parkway, after an eight-inch gas line was struck late in the morning by a construction crew.
There were no injuries and no evacuations necessary, according to McKinney Fire officials.
A dangerous situation was created when the crew struck the gas line shortly before 10 a.m. More than 18 McKinney Fire Dept.
personnel responded to the report of a gas line cut by a backhoe. The reporting caller stated that the equipment operator had safely evacuated the area, leaving the equipment running atop the leaking gas line.
The intersection of Stonebridge and Eldorado is home to a convenience store and Methodist Hospital of McKinney. Also in the immediate vicinity are a residential nursing home and a children’s daycare center.
McKinney Fire Dept. established a command center, requesting the Federal Aviation Administration designate a no-fly zone within two miles of the incident. Air quality, wind speed and direction were monitored and a plan was put in place should the need to evacuate residents and businesses occur. Traffic was rerouted in the area.
The Fire Department released a statement that most people recognize the distinct odor of natural gas, but many are unaware of what actions to take (or not to take) if they smell gas in or near their home or other location. Recommended actions include:
–Do not attempt to locate gas leaks.
–Do not smoke or use lighters, matches or other sources of open flames.
–Do not turn lights on or off or unplug electrical appliances or computers.
–If you are operating power equipment, tools, or vehicles in the area, do not move the ignition switch from the current position.
–Do not use telephones, including cell phones, in or near an area where you smell gas.
–Leave the area immediately and call your natural gas provider or dial 9-1-1.