Three McKinney firefighters were transported to Medical Center of McKinney Saturday morning after being electrocuted while fighting a residential fire that claimed the home of an Allen First Responder.
Around 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, July 18 the McKinney Fire Department responded to a residential fire in the 4200 block of Talbot Lane in McKinney. More than 35 personnel were on scene to fight the fire that had already engulfed the rear of the house as it began to spread to a neighbor’s fence.
While surrounding homes were evacuated three MFD firefighters came into contact with electricity and were transported via ambulance to Medical Center of McKinney. All three were treated and released after it was determined that their injuries were non-life-threatening.
“While we take every precaution to ensure firefighter and citizen safety, occasionally incidents occur,” Fire Chief Danny Kistner said in a press release. “We are grateful that our crews are safe and healthy.”
A press release sent out by MFD spokesperson Stacie Durham stated that more than 16 MFD units fought the Talbot Lane fire, with the last unit clearing the scene at 10:48 a.m. Allen, Fairview and Frisco fire departments relocated units to McKinney to assist with other emergencies. Residents reported that smoke alarms failed to wake all family members.
“Luckily no civilian injuries or fatalities occurred during this middle-of-the-night fire,” said Durham in the release. “It is very important that all smoke alarms be checked monthly by pressing the test button; and, that batteries are changed at least yearly.”
The home belonged to a firefighter with the Allen Fire Department where he lived with his wife and two children. The Allen Professional Firefighters Association is asking for help in providing donations as a majority of the home and the family’s belongings were destroyed.
A ‘GoFundMe’ page has been created so that monetary donations may now be accepted.