By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
March 11 through March 17
The events that occurred during this week in history are global and varied, but very significant.
In 1493, Christopher Columbus returned to Spain, concluding his first voyage to the Western Hemisphere.
In 1794, Eli Whitney received a patent for his cotton gin, which would revolution the American cotton industry and fifty years later would be the foundation for the development of our area as the “black land” of North Central Texas proved ideal for growing cotton.
In 1848, the Hackberry Bluff post office, located in a stage station between McKinney and Celina was discontinued. William H. Pulliam, postmaster, announced that residents would receive their mail from the McKinney office. In 1881, some began receiving mail through the Celina office.
In 1859, brothers John and James Cave and James Farris erected a bridge across Wilson Creek in the area of current McKinney Boyd High School in order for farmers to access McKinney with crops and supplies without worry of the creek being to high to cross.
In 1860, the First Christian Church of Plano was constituted as part of a union church group. The church still functions at its present location in the historic district of Plano.
In 1864, Alfred Johnson, an area entrepreneur organized a spy company that both the Union and Confederacy used to identify opposing spies in the county and area. This is the group depicted in the mural painted by Frank Klepper in 1934 in the old post office, now The North Texas History Center, located on Virginia Street in McKinney.
In 1883, the Collin County National Bank, located on the square in McKinney, was chartered.
In 1900, the growing community of Weston, northwest of McKinney began free rural mail delivery from its own post office. The office was one of the first in the nation to apply and be funded by the federal postal service to offer this service. The same year the cornerstone for the present location of the First Baptist Church of Farmersville was laid in what is now its “historic district”.
In 1902, the first birth of a child in newly incorporated Frisco was recorded, a daughter born to the James Gregory family.
In 1907, the Order of the Eastern Star # 977, an organization still functioning, was started in Wylie.
In 1923, President Warren G. Harding became the first President to file an income tax report as a result of the newly implement law.
In 1964, Jack Ruby was found guilty and sentenced to death for the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald. The decision was later over turned and Ruby died before he could be retried.
Photo of Don Newsom, avid historian and former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.