By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
June 16 through June 22
The ratification of the U.S. constitution; the first celebration of Fathers Day; and two Supreme Court decisions related to religion and public schools highlight this week in our history.
In 1778, the U.S. Constitution went into effect in 1788 when New Hampshire ratified it.
In 1886, the Pauline post office name was changed to Frankford.
In 1887, the Maxwell post office discontinued and residents began receiving their mail through the Saxie office.
In 1889, a fire destroyed most of the buildings on the southeast corner of Main and Mechanic Streets in Plano.
In 1898, the first commercial watch repair shop in the county was opened by Arch Weatherford in Mayes Grocery in Plano.
In 1902, the Honaker Chapel, located near the Hunt and Collin county lines, southeast of Farmersville was dedicated.
In 1903, the governing bodies in the communities of Melissa, Anna, Valdasta and Westminster followed the trend of most of the larger communities in the county and passed Stock laws, regulations related to the ownership of livestock within their boundaries.
In 1910, Fathers Day was celebrated for the first time in Spokane, Washington.
In 1912, the city of Princeton was incorporated.
In 1940, twenty cases of measles were confirmed in the small community of Verona.
In 1963, the Supreme Court struck down rules requiring the recitation of the Lord’s Prayer or the reading of Biblical verses in public schools.
In 1970, President Richard Nixon signed a measure lowering the voting age to 18.
In 1983, astronaut Sally K. Ride became America’s first woman in space as she and four colleagues blasted off aboard the space shuttle Challenger.
In 2000, the Supreme Court, in a 6-3 ruling, barred officials from letting students lead stadium crowds in prayer before football games.
TSB contributing writer Don Newsom is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.