By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
Writer Don Newsom share a look back at some of the events that took place during this week in history. October 7 through October 13
In 1765, the first formal meeting, which would ultimately result in a revolution and the formation of this nation, was held in New York. The Stamp Act Congress convened and drew up the colonial grievances against England.
In 1845, Texas ratified a state constitution.
In 1850, the Anna Baptist Church organized and met on the second Sunday of the month. That congregation is the forefather of the current First Baptist, Cavalry Baptist and Whiterock Baptist Churches of Anna.
In 1852, the Plano post office began operations. William Foreman was the first postmaster.
In 1856, a Presbyterian camp meeting on Wilson Creek west of current Highway 75 near the present El Dorado Country Club. The purpose of the meeting was to organize Presbyterians in the county and encourage the development of churches throughout the county.
In 1886, the town of Wylie became an official municipality.
In 1898, the Burris gin, the largest in Collin County, located northeast of downtown McKinney was destroyed by fire.
In 1919, a tornado struck Blue Ridge, killing seven people and destroying over $100,000 worth of property. The town recovered, however, and by 1930 its 450 residents had electric and natural gas utilities, a telephone exchange, paved roads, a high school, and more than twenty businesses. Blue Ridge incorporated in 1936, and by 1940 it had thirty businesses serving more than 400 residents
In 1935, Sam Rayburn spoke in the town of Westminster, as part of his campaign to be reelected to the US House of Representatives. He was reelected and during that term he became Speaker of the House upon the death of William Bankhead.
In 1939, a group of area musicians and singers held the first Collin County Singing Convention in Celina. Although the assembly has been suspended at times over the years, a similar meeting is still held at different locations on a regular basis.
In 1942, construction was started on Ashburn Hospital in McKinney. It later served as the Veterans Hospital and now is the Job Corp Center.
In 1973, President Richard Nixon nominated House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford, R-Michigan, to succeed Spiro T. Agnew as vice president. He would become the only person to serve as vice president and president and never be elected to either office.
In 2005, the Fairview Town Council appointed a commission of fifteen local citizens to write a home rule charter for the town. In Texas, municipalities may change from general law to home rule once they reach 5,000 in population. Fairview’s home rule charter was finalized by the charter on March 2 – Texas Independence Day and was approved by popular vote on May 13, 2006.
Don Newsom is an avid hsitorian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.