By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
May 26 through June 1
The changing of the county seat from Buckner to McKinney; the opening of the Veterans’ Administration Hospital; and the designation of a national holiday to honor the nation’s war dead were some of the events that happened this week in our history.
In 1848, as the result of action by local and state governments and the U. S. Post Office Department the name of the county seat of Collin County was changed from Buckner to McKinney.
In 1859, the city of McKinney incorporated for the second time, due to a discovered error in the original document. The original incorporation had occurred ten years earlier.
In 1883, post offices were established in the communities of Anna and Culleoka. William Y. Barnett was the first postmaster in Anna and was followed by John F. Greer less that two years later. The Anna office continues today, but the Culleoka office closed in 1906 and residents began receiving their mail through the McKinney office.
In 1886, a post office was opened in the Valdasta community. It operated until 1910 when it closed and mail began being delivered from the Blue Ridge office.
In 1918, the town of Frisco purchased its first fire truck.
In 1919, the first Rotary Club was formed in McKinney. That club still meets weekly.
In 1921, the M. T. McGarr Boarding House on North Tennessee in McKinney, the temporary residence for most notables visiting the county, was destroyed by fire.
In 1940, 11 students graduated from Doty High School, the African American school located in east McKinney. Because of the war, the next class to have a formal graduation would be five years later.
In 1946, the V. A. Hospital was dedicated in McKinney. The facility, located near the intersections of Highways 5 and 380, houses the Job Corp program today.
In 1957, the National League approved the move of the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants baseball teams to Los Angeles and San Francisco, respectively; giving the West coast major league baseball for the first time.
In 1971, the last Monday in May was designated as a national holiday to honor those who have died in our nation’s wars. The observance was begun in 1866 to honor those killed in the Civil War and was called Decoration Day, but changed to Memorial Day in 1882.
In 1973, Farmersville dedicated a memorial to favorite son, Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WW II.
TSB writer Don Newsom, picture, is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.