By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
March 3 through March 9
A national constitution and national anthem, as well as a local newspaper and Oreo cookies had their beginnings this week in our history.
In 1789, the Constitution went into effect as the first Congress met in New York City.
In 1836, the Alamo fell after a 13 day siege.
In 1847, the first white male, W. A. McMillan, was born in newly created Collin County.
In 1859, William Gotcher, a east county pioneer, donated land for the town square of Farmersville.
In 1860, the Republican Party, formed in March of 1854, elected its first U S President, Abraham Lincoln.
In 1861, Texas seceded from the Union and joined the Confederate States of America, although the majority of the residents of Collin County opposed the move. The same year, Henry Dye, son of a pioneer family, graduated from medical school and returned to the area to practice medicine.
In 1862, two more local companies of the 16th Regiment of the Texas Cavalry were mustered by Captains Gabriel Fitzhugh and John W. Kolfus to fight in the Civil War.
In 1886, legislation was passed by the voters of Collin County supporting prohibition.
In 1890, the Tickey post office, which had been opened for two years, changed its name to Viney. The office closed the next year and residents began receiving mail through the Altoga office. Mailed is now delivered through the Blue Ridge office.
In 1894, a post office was established in the community of Chambersville, northwest of McKinney. It operated until 1903 when it was closed and residents began receiving their mail through the McKinney office.
In 1897, a newspaper, the Daily Courier Gazette, began publication in McKinney. It is still being published today.
In 1908, the newly incorporated town of Frisco held its first election.
In 1909, the town of Plano began trash collection for its residents.
In 1912, Oreo sandwich cookies were first introduced by the National Biscuit Co., which later became Nabisco.
In 1931, President Hoover signed a law making “The Star Spangled Banner”, the national anthem.
In 1982, Darryl Gumm was appointed the first Fire Chief for the town of St. Paul, which is now a part of Lucas, south of McKinney.
Contributing writer Don Newsom is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.