By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
June 17 through June 23
Most of the events that occurred this week in history indicated that growth and development were happening.
In 1778, the U.S. Constitution went into effect in 1788 when New Hampshire ratified it.
In 1858, the White Rock Lodge # 234 was organized in the community of Frankford.
In 1875, following federal and state legislation, Collin County ended free-ranging of livestock.
In 1886, the Pauline post office name was changed to Frankford.
In 1888, the Masonic Lodge # 650 was chartered in the East Fork community.
In 1892, an IOOF lodge was formed in Altoga.
In 1887, the Maxwell post office discontinued and residents began receiving their mail through the Saxie office.
In 1898, the first commercial watch repair shop in the county was opened by Arch Weatherford in Maye’s Grocery in Plano.
In 1902, the Honaker Chapel, located near the Hunt and Collin county lines, southeast of Farmersville was dedicated.
In 1903, the governing bodies in the communities of Melissa, Anna, Valdasta and Westminster followed the trend of most of the larger communities in the county and passed “Stock laws”, regulations related to the ownership of livestock within their boundaries.
In 1910, Father’s Day was celebrated for the first time in Spokane, Washington.
In 1912, the city of Princeton was incorporated.
In 1940, twenty cases of measles were confirmed in the small community of Verona.
In 1970, President Richard Nixon signed a measure lowering the voting age to 18.
Photo: Don Newsom in historic dress. Newsom is a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and an avid historian.