By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
New beginnings, tragedies and actions related to our national flag highlighted this week in our history.
In 1777, the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as the national flag.
In 1861, a voluntary infantry unit under the command of Captain J. M. Bound was sworn in to the Confederate army.
In 1868, a Presbyterian church was organized in Farmersville.
In 1871, a long running feud between two pioneer families; the Lees and Peacocks, ended when Lewis Peacock, patriarch of his family was killed.
In 1886, a post office was established in Wylie and at the same time the office in the community of Nickelville was closed.
In 1889, a fire destroyed most of the buildings on the southeast corner of Main and Mechanic Streets in Plano.
In 1894, leaders of Plano enacted a statute creating prohibition, nearly two decades before it became a national law.
In 1902, an IOOF lodge was formed and began meeting in the Donna community.
In 1903, the Ford Motor Company was incorporated bring into existence the assembly line process of producing products.
In 1905, the Lebanon post office was discontinued and residents began receiving mail through the Frisco office.
In 1914, the McKinney Federated Women’s Clubs dedicated Finch Park to the city of McKinney.
In 1916, a mill and grain elevator complex was completed in Celina.
In 1943, during WW II, the Supreme Court ruled school children in public schools could not be forced to salute that flag.
In 1954, the words, “under God“, were added to the Pledge of Allegiance and in 2004, the Supreme Court ruled that the words stay in the Pledge.
In 1987, President Reagan, during a visit to Berlin, challenged the Soviet Union to “tear down this wall”, the physical barrier between East and West Berlin built following WW II.
Photo: Don Newsom in historic, period costume, makes a presentation at the North Texas History Center. Don is a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and an avid historian.