By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
July 22 through July 28
The major headlines during this week in history were the beginning and ending of wars, the initiation of a project that supplies water to the Collin County area and the construction of Lake Lavon.
In 1852, the office of county pioneer Henry Hedgecoxe was burglarized. Confidential files of several prominent area people were stolen.
In 1868, the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing due process and the equal protection of the laws to former slaves, was declared in effect.
In 1887, a bank in Plano became the first in the area to be chartered by the federal government and carried the title of National Bank.
In 1891, there was a countywide meeting called the “Great Alliance” held in Benge Park located on Wilson Creek in McKinney. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways to make the county more of a factor in the growth of the state of Texas.
In 1910, an ordinance passed in Plano gave the horse or horse drawn vehicles the right of way over cars at intersections.
1914, World War I began as Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia.
In 1920, the maximum speed limit within the city boundaries of Plan was set at 8 mph.
In 1922, the Order of the Eastern Star No. 703, which still functions, was begun in Plano.
In 1946, an event that still impacts the county and adjoining areas was begun. The Lake Lavon project, which was a part of the River and Harbor Act passed earlier by the U. S. Congress, was started.
In 1947, the communities of Nevada, McMinn, Josephine, Lavon and Mt. Pisgah in the south and eastern parts of the county, consolidated their community schools into one. It was named the Community School, now the Community ISD, and is located in Nevada.
In 1953, the armistice was signed ending the Korean War.
Don Newsom is a former Superintendent of Celina ISD and an avid historian who serves on the Board of Directors for the North Texas History Center.