By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
A site for Plano’s first jail, the beginning of a historic church in Celina, opening of one of the county’s current post offices and
McKinney’s first automobile owner highlight this week in our history.
In 1874, William L. Meroney, member of a prominent founding family, received a medical degree with plans to return to the area to practice medicine.
In 1875, the Lone Tree post office closed after operating for 16 years.
In 1882, Plano purchased land that would be the site of its first jail.
In 1884, the lower floor of the IOOF building was purchased by a group that began operations as the Plano National Bank.
In 1886, a Church of Christ group begin meeting in Celina. The church group is still in existence today.
In 1888, a post office was opened in the community of Josephine and is still operational.
In 1896, the international Woodmen of the World organization started a camp near Farmersville to supplement its facility, located in Sherman.
In 1903, T. T. Emerson became the first owner of an automobile in McKinney.
In 1904, J. L. Looney, a local businessman was elected to the state senate. The same year, one of our favorite things, the ice cream cone was invented.
In 1927, a Spanish American War veterans group was organized in McKinney and named in honor of Henry A. Camp.Beginning in 1936, there have been more men accept the nomination for President this week at conventions than any other week in the year.
In 1940, FDR broke the precedent set by George Washington in 1787 when he accepted the nomination to run for President for a third term.
TSB contributing writer Don Newsom is an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.