By Don Newsom, TSB Contributor
Events this week in history included the beginning of churches in our county, conflicts with the British, liberation of France during WWII and the addition of a state to the union.
In 1775, Britain’s King George III proclaimed the American colonies in a state of open rebellion.
In 1814, British forces invaded Washington, D.C., and set fire to the Capitol and the White House.
In 1842 Judge William Cornelius Andrews, Jr. was born in Tennessee. A veteran of Civil War, he came to McKinney in 1877 as widower with 5 children. Two years later he married Tobiathia Scott. They had nine children. In 1899 he and his wife and their eight moved to Indian Territory where their nine child was born. He was the first Justice of the Peace in Oklahoma after it became a state and later a school superintendent and preacher. His five older children stayed in McKinney where many of their descendants still live as seventh and eighth generation Collin County residents.
In 1882, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established at McMinn Chapel, a community 3 miles north of Nevada.
In 1887, Sam Houston, Jr., who had fought at the Battle of Shiloh for the Confederacy and became a medical doctor after the war; but chose writing as a profession, spoke at the Plano Institute on “Afoot in Mexico”, one of the adventures he had written.
In 1888, the first map, indicating the boundaries of the town of Princeton, was filed in the county and state offices.
In 1891, the West Shady Grove Baptist Church was started near the community of Desert, northeast of McKinney where the counties of Collin, Grayson and Fannin meet. One of the counties historic cemeteries is located there.
In 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt became the first U.S. chief executive to ride in an automobile, in Hartford, Conn.
In 1904, a camp meeting was held at Walnut Grove, located eight miles northwest of McKinney on what is now Custer Road or FM 2478, celebrating the 60th anniversary of the founding of the community.
In 1905, the first sanctioned auto race in the county, began and ended at Old Settlers Park in conjunction with the annual picnic. The winning, average speed was 40 mph.
In 1910, a street car system began operations in McKinney.
In 1938 the Milligan School House burned. Though not in use at the time, the original school building, one of the earliest in the county, was erected in the late 1850’s in the community located east of McKinney.
In 1940, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill paid tribute to the Royal Air Force, saying, “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.”
In 1944, Paris was liberated by Allied forces after four years of Nazi occupation.
In 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union.