By Don Newsom, TSB Contributing Writer
Among the events that happened this week in our history were the naming of our continent, the swearing in of the nation’s first vice president and the battle that assured Texas’ independence from Mexico.
In 1507, “America” was first used as the name of a continent on a map. German cartographer Martin Waldseemueller used the name in honor of Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci.
In 1789, John Adams was sworn in as the first vice president of the United States. At the time the U S Constitution did not designate electoral votes for President and Vice President, just President. Washington and Adams were the candidates on the ballot. Washington got all the votes for President. Adams initially was insulted because he received no votes and was going to decline the Vice Presidency, but his wife Abigail changed his mind. During that same week, President Washington and his wife moved into the first executive mansion, the Franklin House in New York City.
In 1836, an army of Texans defeated the Mexicans at San Jacinto, assuring Texas’ independence.
In 1859, Rowlett’s Creek post office discontinued after only one year in service. The office had been established, anticipating fast growth in the area, but that did not happen.
In 1864, toward the end of the Civil War, Congress authorized the use of the phrase “In God We Trust” on U.S. coins.
In 1865, John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln, was surrounded and killed by federal troops near Bowling Green, Virginia.
In 1888, the Empire post office was closed and area residents began receiving mail through the Copeville office, located on Highway 78, south of Farmersville.
In 1889, the Oklahoma Land Rush began at noon as thousands of homesteaders staked claims.
In 1894, James W. Throckmorton, a former Governor of Texas and U.S. Congressman, who had called Collin County his home from the age of 15, died in McKinney.
In 1902, the Frisco post office was established and the post offices at Erudia, the original office that served the Frisco area was discontinued.
In 1932, Clyde Barrow of the infamous Bonnie and Clyde Gang stole several guns from a hardware store in Celina.
In 1935, The Princeton Times began operations. The newspaper was the forerunner of the current weekly paper, The Princeton Herald.
In 1939, the school at Weston burned. The building that replaced it, although no longer used as a school, still stands on the east side of Weston.