By Ben Lane, TSB Staff
The McKinney City Council unanimously approved the rules for McKinney’s brand new dog park on Tuesday evening. The 2-acre dog park will be located at the new Bonnie Wenk Park (3050 Virginia Parkway) and is scheduled to open on Friday, March 22 at 6:30 p.m.
The list of rules is designed to keep all of the park’s visitors (both the two-legged and four-legged variety) safe. According to city council documents, the rules were designed after reviewing neighboring cities’ dog parks and consulting with both the McKinney Animal Control and a group of local dog park enthusiasts.
The park will be split into two areas designed to serve both large and small dogs. The large dog area will be for dogs 25 pounds and above. Smaller dogs are allowed in the large dog area, but it is not recommended.
The small dog area is for dogs 25 pounds and under. Large dogs will not be allowed into the area designated for small dogs.
The park will open initially following a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 6 p.m. on Friday. The dog park will be open from dawn until 11:00 p.m. every day. Normal dog park hours will begin on Saturday, March 23.
Here is a list of some of the rules adopted by the city council for the new dog park:
- No “dangerous dogs” are allowed at the dog park (according to the Texas Health and Safety Code, dangerous dogs are defined as dogs which “make an unprovoked attack on a person that causes bodily injury and occurs in a place other than an enclosure in which the dog was being kept and that was reasonably certain to prevent the dog from leaving the enclosure on its own”)
- The following dogs are also not allowed in the dog park: female dogs in heat, puppies younger than four months, dogs that are not wearing their current rabies vaccination tags or dogs with spiked, pinch or prong collars
- A person may not bring more than three dogs to the dog park at once
- Owners are responsible for picking up after their dog
- Owners must keep their dogs where the dog can be seen and controlled by the owner’s voice
- All dogs must be vaccinated
- Any dog that exhibits aggressive behavior must be removed immediately
- No human or dog food may be brought onto the dog park premises
- No smoking is allowed at the dog park
- Owners must refill any holes that their dog digs
- Owners are responsible for any damage their dog inflicts to other visitors or pets