McKINNEY, Texas (April 24, 2015) – A residential fire in the 500 block of Rocky Springs Drive on Thursday, April 23 resulted in the death of two McKinney residents. Abrar Khan, 55, was declared deceased at the scene. Talat Khan, 47, was transported to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas where she later succumbed to her injuries. A third resident, Miam Amtul, 77, was transported to Baylor Medical Center of McKinney. Official cause of death for both victims is pending determination by the Medical Examiner. Initial reports indicate that smoke alarms were not operational in the residence.
“The loss of life due to a fire is always a tragedy, and our thoughts are with the Khan family,” said Fire Chief Danny Kistner.
The McKinney Fire Department will partner with the American Red Cross to canvas the neighborhood surrounding Rocky Springs Drive on Wednesday, April 29 starting at 5:30 p.m. Firefighters and volunteers will go door to door checking and installing smoke alarms, batteries and carbon monoxide alarms, and distributing educational materials. If you would like a visit, but can’t be home on Wednesday evening, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an alternative date.
For additional information on fire and life safety, planning your escape from fire, smoke alarms and a variety of other safety topics visit www.mckinneyfire.org.
City of McKinney Fire Department Press Release