MCKINNEY, Texas (Oct. 1, 2015) – Location matters when it comes to your smoke alarm. The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) is joining forces with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and local Domino’s Pizza stores during Fire Prevention Week, Oct. 4-10, to remind local residents about the importance of having working smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home. The groups are kicking off a campaign with the message: Hear the Beep Where You Sleep. Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm!
On Tuesday, Oct. 6, random Domino’s Pizza delivery orders from both McKinney stores will be selected for delivery by a MFD fire truck.
“When we arrive, if your home has working smoke alarms, your pizza is free,” advised Stacie Durham, spokeswoman for the MFD. “If your alarms aren’t working, we can change batteries or install new alarms.”
Research shows that three out of five fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
“In a fire, seconds count,” Durham said. “Half of home fire deaths result from fires between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. when most people are asleep. Home smoke alarms can alert people to a fire before it spreads, giving everyone enough time to get out. Working smoke alarms cut the chance of dying in a fire in half.”
To increase your chances of surviving a home fire:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home.
- Interconnect all smoke alarms so that when one sounds, they all do.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
- Change alarm batteries regularly. Remember, change your clock – change your battery.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old or sooner if they don’t respond properly.
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm and knows what to do when they hear it.
The MFD wants all residents and visitors to remain safe from fire. For more information, visit www.mckinneyfire.org. To learn more about smoke alarms and “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep. Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm!” visit NFPA’s website at www.firepreventionweek.org and www.sparky.org/fpw.
McKinney Fire Department Press Release