McKINNEY, Texas (Dec. 8, 2015) – Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But, this also means a greater risk for fire. Following a few simple tips could make the difference in safe holidays and a disaster!
Two of every five home holiday decoration fires are started by candles. Keep children and pets away from lit candles; and, keep candles away from decorations or anything that can burn. Blow out lit candles when you leave a room or go to bed.
Most holiday lights are designated only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both. Be sure you are using the appropriate lighting and never use lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. For extra safety, turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving your home or going to bed, including lights on your holiday tree.
According to McKinney Fire Dept. spokeswoman Stacie Durham, “Fires starting with holiday trees aren’t common; but, when they occur, they are more likely to be serious. Most of these types of fires are caused by electrical problems with tree lights, or by a heat source too close to the tree.”
Special considerations for your tree include:
•Use only lights recommended which have the label of a recognized testing laboratory,
such as UL. Follow all manufacturer’s instructions for how many light strands to connect.
•Make sure your tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces,
candles, heat vents or lights.
•Never place a tree where it may block an exit.
The McKinney Fire Department wants you to have a safe and joyous holiday season. For
additional holiday safety tips and other important life safety information, visit
City of McKinney Fire Department Press Release