McKinney back in the day
contributed by bbearden
McKinney back in the day
Compiled by Brian Bearden
1766 – Collin McKinney was born.
1846 – The original county seat was Buckner where there was a blacksmith, a Lovejoy’s dry goods store, post office and general store.
1846 — Texas Legislature creates Collin County on April 3, directing that the county seat, to be named “Buckner” in John McGarrah’s settlement would be no more than three miles from the geographic center. McGarrah becomes first postmaster.
1848 – The Lovejoy store moves three miles from Buckner to a new town square, and McKinney became a town when it was noticed that the Buckner town site was outside the legal limits of the county seat. The legislature ordered another election and named the new county seat “McKinney”, honoring early settler Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Residents moved their homes and other buildings to McKinney (3 miles east), and Buckner town site reverted to agricultural land uses.
1859 – McKinney first incorporated as a city.
1861 – Collin McKinney dies.
1873 – A train arrives in McKinney for first time.
1875 — Designed in the style of the French Second Empire, the Collin County Courthouse was considered the tallest building in Texas north of San Antonio upon its completion in early 1875.
1876 – The courthouse opens in McKinney.
1878 – Outlaw Sam Bass robs the train in what’s now Allen.
1880 – McKinney gets first telephone line, which went from the train depot to the Foote House Hotel.
1883 – Telephone service starts from Dallas to Sherman and McKinney.
1884 – Opera house opens and holds first inaugural ball. The building was called the Heard Brothers’ Opera House.
1887 – McKinney sets up a fire department with one pumper.
1889 – Electricity contract signed.
1891 – Strawberry and lemon soda pops bottled as A. Craus opens.
1897 – The McKinney Courier-Gazette begins its press run as Collin County’s Daily Newspaper.
1901 – The Texas Textile mill opens and quickly becomes main employer. Mail delivery begins to farms.
1902 – First in-town mail delivery, artesian well set up for water for city and citizens vote to close all saloons and go “dry.”
1903 – First privately-owned car in McKinney bought for $675 in Dallas and brought back home by T.T. Emerson.
1904 – Jesse Shain opens a block of brick buildings at Tennessee and Kentucky.
1906 – The Heard Brothers Opera House hosts John Phillips Sousa and his band. The Union Railroad depot was constructed.
1908 – The Texas Electric Railway line from Denison to Dallas and Waco begins service in McKinney.
1910 – A fire destroys the Heard Bros. Opera House.
1911 – The statue of Gov. J.W. Throckmorton was given to the city by the Federated Women’s Clubs of McKinney and placed on the corner of the Collin County courthouse. First airplane flew over McKinney, and street car service started. A new city hall replaced the old one and was on same site on Kentucky Street. First fire station built.
1913 – Tragedy strikes when the Odd Fellows building and the Tingle Implement Building on Virginia Street collapsed, killed eight and injuring 14 more. Later, in the summer, the Pope Theatre opens and holds its first performance.
1914 – Finch Park was opened.
1915 – On the location today of Caldwell Elementary, Boyd High School opened.
1918 – William Jennings Bryan speaks at the Pope Theatre.
1919 – The Blue Ridge tornado strikes, killing seven in April.
1920 – A block north of the town square, a passenger station and freight depot opens for the Texas Electric Railway, better known as the Interurban, on Kentucky Street.
1921 – The hospital opens on College Street. … The Melissa tornado strikes, destroying that city in April just two years after the huge tornado in Blue Ridge.
1923 – The L.A. Scott Junior High opens.
1924 – Fletcher Pope honors his deceased wife, Maggie Shain Pope, by making a donation of the Pope’s Nursing Home next to the City-County Hospital on South College Street.
1925 – Highway 75 officially designated as a U.S. Highway.
1926 – Finch Park zoo now a top attraction.
1927 – Tornado strikes nearby town of Nevada in May.
1928 – Collin County courthouse reconstructed and opened.
1930 – Home delivery of ice when the McKinney Ice Co. becomes the Crystal Ice Company.
1935 – Passenger service by train to McKinney stops.
1936 – Pioneer home of Collin McKinney used as a tourist and information office during the Texas Centennial and served as site of grand opening for the new U.S. Highway 75. … In August on the 10th, temperatures soared to a recorded 118 degrees in McKinney.
1937 – Collin McKinney’s pioneer home moved to Finch Park, (where it later was lost to a December 1980 fire).
1940 – McKinney no longer connected to Greenville when the Katy Railroad abandons the East Line.
1941 – Civic leader Fletcher B. “Buddy” Pope dies. …The Union Railroad depot razed.
1942 – Work starts on the Ashburn Administration hospital where the Job Corps Training Center is now.
1945 – After World War II, Lt. Audie Murphy of Farmersville, Texas, was the honored guest at the July 4 rodeo at the Circle 5 Farm.
1948 – A tornado strikes south McKinney, knocking down homes and businesses in May. … On the last day of the year, the Texas Electric Railway, better known as the Interurban, stopped operating.
1957 – The Penny Saver, Collin County’s Shopper, hits the press.
1966 — The Third Monday Trade Days market moves from downtown McKinney to the current location on Hwy. 380.
1967 – The Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary was founded.
1968 – The old city hall on Kentucky was torn down to make way for parking.
1979 – The county moves out of the old courthouse.
… McKinney Municipal Airport opened to business and other private flight activities.
1983 — The Historic Courthouse downtown was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
1985 — Since offering its first classes at area high schools in 1985, Collin College has expanded to serve about 46,000 credit and continuing education students each year. The only public college in the county, the college offers more than 100 degrees and certificates in a wide range of disciplines.
1988 – Stonebridge Ranch Country Club opened as The Flying M Ranch with the vision to be the Premier Golf and Country Club Community of North Texas. The developers commissioned Pete Dye to select any plot of land for his design, and told him they would build the development around it. The Stonebridge Clubhouse, which resembles a Victorian Castle, was built.
2003 — A proposal was approved to re-craft the Courthouse as a cultural center that would become MPAC – the McKinney Performing Arts Center.
2004 – McKinney Municipal Airport was renamed Collin County Regional Airport at McKinney to reflect its mission and the political region it supports.
2007 – Airport’s 7,001-foot length runway rehabilitated to support heavy aircraft.
2010 – Traxxas moves to McKinney from Plano to become the first corporate headquarters to move to Craig Ranch. Traxxas creates, designs, and manufactures hobby-class radio controlled cars, trucks, and boats in both nitro and electric categories. … First Bike for Bricks criterium race starts in downtown McKinney. … Lone shooter attacks McKinney Police station in August. Only the heavily-armed man was killed. The man set his truck on fire outside the public safety building to draw people outside and then began firing.
2011 – Construction of a $2.5 million replacement airport traffic control tower completed at Collin County Regional Airport in February.
2012 – Airport runway being improved to have capability to support numerous operations of the largest private and commercial aircraft.