Winners to Open for American Idol Taylor Hicks!
Are you a gleek?! The McKinney Performing Arts Center (MPAC) and TownSquareBuzz.com have partnered to launch the first McKinney MASH UP, a competition and fund-raiser where vocalists will compete for $2,500 cash prizes and open for “American Idol” Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks. The winners will also attend a VIP reception with Hicks.
The competition begins on July 1 when vocalists will have until August 26 to submit a performance video to the MASH UP website, accessible through MPAC’s website or TownSquareBuzz.com. Contestants can enter as a solo performer or group performer.
— > Watch the contest promo video below, featuring Taylor Hicks and local public officials, schools, businesses and more!
The public is invited to attend a series of MASH UP performances on Saturday, Sept. 10 to raise funds for the performing arts center in MPAC’s historic Courtroom Theater. The group preliminary performance elimination round will be held at 1:00 PM and the solo preliminary performance round will be held at 4:00 PM. The MASH UP finale will begin at 8:00 PM that evening, and the winners will perform at the Hicks concert on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 8 p.m. Tickets for the Hicks concert go on-sale July 1. Patrons who are “MPAC Partners” are eligible to purchase tickets before the general public and attend the VIP reception with Hicks. Contact MPAC for details at (972) 547-2650.
“The MASH UP is a great way to showcase the outstanding talent we have right here in our backyard while at the same time raise funds for the McKinney Performing Arts Center,” said David Taylor, Director of MPAC. “This is the perfect opportunity to bring our community together in support of the arts.”
“It’s terrific to be involved in a partnership with the McKinney Performing Arts Center and participate in the McKinney MASH UP project. TownSquareBuzz.com is part of our community, and as such, we are committed to serving our community in any way we can, and this fund-raising project supporting the arts is an opportunity to give back,” said Angie Bado, Owner and Founder of TownSquareBuzz.com.
From July 1 through August 29, fans of the vocalists and members of the community will vote for their favorite performance videos online. The top ten videos from each category garnering the most votes during the online voting period will advance to the performance preliminary rounds on Sept. 10.
MASH UP TIMELINE SUMMARY:
July 1 – August 26: Entry Period
Videos submitted to contest website.
July 1 – August 29: Online Voting Period
Entrants will be selected to advance the preliminary performance round based on the most votes received. No more than 20 performances from each category will advance. (20 Solo Performers and 20 Group Performers.)
September 5: Contestant Notification
Solo and Group Performers are notified about participation in preliminaries.
September 10: Preliminary Performance Round and Final Round
- Group Performers preliminaries will be held at 1:00 PM in MPAC’s Courtroom Theater. The top ten finalists selected will advance to the finals at 8:00 PM. The public is encouraged to attend.
- Solo Performers preliminaries will be held 4:00 PM in MPAC’s Courtroom Theater. The top ten finalists selected will advance to the finals at 8:00 PM. The public is encouraged to attend.
- Finalists from both categories compete at 8:00 PM in MPAC’s Courtroom Theater. Winners are selected from each category. The public is encouraged to attend.
Solo Performer winners and Group Performers winners open for American Idol Taylor Hicks in the Courtroom Theater.
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND FOR VOCALISTS:
Complete rules and conditions will be available on July 1.
- The performance video cannot exceed two minutes in length.
- Video performances MUST be performed a capella or with accompanying pre-recorded music (No instruments.)
- Group video performances must consist of at least 2 performers and not exceed 10 performers.
- Group performances can include song and dance numbers with their vocals.
- Entrants who advance to the preliminary round agree to use MPAC’s sound system.
- Lip synced performances will be disqualified.