By Bryan Criswell, TSB Staff
High School Hallways – Week of April 8th
High School Hallways is brief weekly digest of happenings in McKinney area high schools.
1) McKinney ISD Recognizes its Teachers of the Year
Some 300 McKinney ISD administrators, family members and community leaders gathered for the 2013 Teacher of the Year Award Dinner at Eldorado Country Club on Thursday night to honor the dedication and commitment of a select group of the District’s finest teachers. Read More.
2) MISD Hosts 8th Annual Special Olympics Track Meet on Friday
Students from all over the North Texas area will gather at Ron Poe Stadium on Friday, April 5 for the 8th annual MISD Special Olympics track meet. Read More.
3) MISD’s Special Olympics Track Meet Provides an Extraordinary Day in McKinney
The unmistakable sounds of a track meet could be heard from the parking lot. The shocking snap of the starter’s pistol. The shouts of encouragement from friends and family. Read More.
4) MHS, North Get to the Heart of Robotics at Competition
In spite of various Hollywood efforts to portray them as tender-hearted romantics (Wall-E), dangerous antagonists (HAL 9000), selfless heroes (Optimus Prime) or pompous buffoons (C-3PO) the obvious fact is that, in the real world, robots are simply cold, utilitarian machines without heart or soul. Read More.
5) Soccer Playoffs: Boyd, MHS Boys Advance, Lady Broncos Fall to Sachse in Area Round
Four MISD soccer teams were in playoff action on Thursday night, as the McKinney Boyd boys and girls teams, the McKinney High boys, and the McKinney North Lady Bulldogs all were looking to advance on to the Regional Quarterfinal round. Click here for the scores and recaps from each match.
6) Baseball Scoreboard: MHS, North Pick Up Crucial District Wins; Boyd Loses in Eight Innings to Plano East
With the half-way point approaching on the district schedule for all three MISD baseball teams, the push for the playoffs truly has begun for the teams at North, MHS, and Boyd. Read More.
7) Softball Scoreboard: MHS Shutouts Plano East; North Tops Royse City Before Big Rematch with Lovejoy
The final stretch of the district season has begun for all three MISD softball programs, as all three are looking to make postseason trips in 2013. Read More.
8) National Champion Bailadoras Present `Legacy’ on April 12-13
The National Champion McKinney Boyd Bailadoras proudly present their Spring Show 2013, “Legacy.” This not to be missed annual production will take place on Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13. Read More.
9) McKinney Boyd’s Cobb Leads By Example in UIL Girls Soccer Playoffs, and She’ll Be Back For More
The McKinney Boyd Lady Bronco soccer team is no stranger to success on the field. Read More.
10) Boyd’s Christian Leaving to Take Over Plano High School Basketball Program
After three seasons at McKinney Boyd, boys basketball head coach Dean Christian has been named to the same position at Plano High School. Christian will replace Phil Parlin as the Wildcats head coach. Read More.
11) McKinney Boyd Girls Claim School’s First State Bowling Championship
There’s nothing quite as nerve-rattling — or as satisfying — as the raucous sound of a bowling ball crashing through a cluster of pins. Read More.
12) McKinney High Marquettes Named `National Champions’ in Novelty Category During Fort Worth Competition
The McKinney High School Marquettes dance team used talent and determination to their advantage during the MA Dance Nation National Championship on March 22 and 23. Read More.
13) Soccer Playoffs: Undersized and Injured, the Lionettes Continue Unlikely Run with Shutout of Mesquite Horn
“These girls have the heart of a Lion,” said McKinney High girls soccer coach Alex Pantarotto. “They are relentless.” Read More.
14) A Winning Tradition: Why Youth, Coaching and Fun Keep McKinney North’s Baseball Program Near the Top
If you take a look around the outskirts of the McKinney North baseball field, you might notice a couple of banners flapping in the wind. Each has a different year and its respective accomplishment in the postseason inscribed on it, and for a program in just its 10th year of varsity play, the number of flags might astound you. Read More.
15) Soccer Playoffs: Lady Bulldogs’ Playoff Run Ends After Shootout Loss to Frisco Liberty
McKinney North fans nervously left their seats Thursday night. They lined up along the side railing to watch a Class 4A playoff shootout that would decide the Lady Bulldogs’ Sectional round match against the Frisco Liberty Redhawks at Lovejoy High School. Read More.
Would you like to be featured in High School Hallways? Just send us an email.