By Bryan Criswell, TSB Staff
High School Hallways – Week of March 25th
High School Hallways is brief weekly digest of happenings in McKinney area high schools.
1) State Senator Paxton’s Push for New Sex Education Rules in Texas Schools Stirs Local Debate
A bill co-authored by Ken Paxton is causing quite a stir throughout the state of Texas. The State Senator from McKinney has put forth a bill that would change the way sexual education is taught in Texas’ schools. Read More.
2) MISD Earns Third Consecutive Sunny Award for Outstanding Online Transparency
McKinney ISD is one of only seven school districts in Texas to receive a 2013 Sunny Award from Sunshine Review for outstanding online transparency — and the only school district in Texas to receive an “A+” rating from the organization this year. Read More.
3) McKinney Masters Supports City’s Proud High School Golf Tradition
Golf has a rich tradition in McKinney, and residents can help support all three of our local high school golf programs through participation or sponsorship in the McKinney Masters Golf Tournament on April 1st at TPC Craig Ranch. Read More.
4) 12 MISD Students Named 2013 All-State Band and Choir
As road trips go, the drive to San Antonio isn’t bad. It’s far enough away to provide a sense of travel, but close enough that even unenthusiastic tourists can endure it. Barring the occasional traffic snag, the journey is fairly easygoing. Read More.
5) Soccer Scoreboard: MHS Boys Upset Boyd at Home; North Teams Sweep Anna in 17-4A Finales
With the regular season finales for all six MISD soccer programs set for Friday night, Boyd and MHS prepared to square off at McKinney High for the final time this season. Meanwhile at North, the boys and girls teams’ would finish the 17-4A schedule with matchups versus Anna. Click here for scores and recaps from each match.
6) Baseball Scoreboard: No. 7 North Rolls Over Greenville; MHS Comes Up Short at Plano East
On Friday night, the McKinney Lions traveled to Plano East looking to take both games this week versus the Panthers. Meanwhile, the No. 7 ranked North Bulldogs played at Greenville looking to stay perfect in District 13-4A play. Click here for scores and recaps from Friday’s action on the diamond.
7) Softball Scoreboard: North Crushes Wylie East; Boyd Loses to Plano East in First-Place Battle
District play continued on Friday in both 10-5A and 13-4A, with the Lady Bulldogs looking to win their fifth game of the district season. Also, Boyd and Plano East met up at Bronco Field in a battle of first place teams, while MHS looked for its first district win of the season at Allen. Click here for scores and recaps from the action on the diamond.
8) Write Their Names in Ink: Unlike their Baseball Counterparts, MISD Softball Pitchers Counted On Every Single Game
In high school baseball, teams generally go with a Tuesday and Friday night starting pitcher, while the rest of the arms in the pitching staff are used out of the bullpen for relief. But over on the softball field, the starting pitcher assignment is not written in pencil on the lineup sheet, but rather in ink pen. Read More.
9) McKinney’s Baseball Scene Competitive: MHS, Boyd Face 5A Schedule Challenges, North Unbeaten, Rolling
With district play underway for all three MISD baseball programs, TSB takes a look into each program and previews the second half of the season. Read More.
10) McKinney Boyd’s Broadway Broncos to Host Ford Test Drive
Come out to the McKinney Boyd High School, south parking lot, on Saturday, March 30 from 9 a.m. -4 p.m. and help send the Broadway Broncos’ Legally Blonde show to nationals. Read More.
11) TSB’s Baseball Game of the Week: Boyd ‘Lacks Execution’ in Home Loss to Plano
Baseball is a game of ups and downs, and right now the McKinney Boyd Broncos can’t seem to shake out of a pretty lengthy down. Read More.
12) Soccer Scoreboard: Boyd Boys Claim Third Straight District Title with Win Over Plano East
With just two district games remaining before playoff soccer begins next week, the race for playoff spots and district titles heated up Tuesday night across MISD. Read More.
13) Meet One of McKinney’s Best High School Soccer Players, and Learn Why He Doesn’t Play High School Soccer
McKinney High senior Stanton Garcia is possibly the best soccer player you don’t know about. Read More.
14) McKinney North Baseball Team Enters Top 10 in Texas High School Coaches’ Poll
The unbeaten McKinney North Bulldogs are ranked No. 7 in Class 4A in the most recent poll of the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association. Read More.
15) Bulldogs Tennis Team Wins 27th of the Season, Edges Pearce
The McKinney North tennis team fought the wind and the spring break rust to squeak out a 6-5 win over Richardson Pearce. Read More.
16) McKinney North Girls Varsity Golf Team Wins Preview Tournament at Heritage Ranch
McKinney North bounced back from a 12th place finish at its regional girls golf preview, before Spring Break, to win its District 13-4A preview at Heritage Ranch on Tuesday. The Lady Bulldogs’ JV also participated in the district preview, coming in 6th place. Read More.
17) TSB’s Soccer Game of the Week: Emotional Lady Bulldogs Defeat Prosper to Clinch District Championship
A hard-fought, physical win against archrival Lady Eagles of Prosper had McKinney North’s Lady Bulldogs celebrating with emotion on the field as the game ended with a nail-biting shootout following a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation play. Read More.
18) TAPPS Honors Four MCA Girls Basketball Players at State Meeting
McKinney Christian Academy senior Kaitlynn McAdams was named to the TAPPS All-State first team in girls basketball. She was one of four Lady Mustangs honored at the meeting. Read More.
Would you like to be featured in High School Hallways? Just send us an email.