Submitted by McKinney Convention & Visitors Bureau
Holiday activities for the entire family highlight this weekend’s happenings in McKinney. Here’s what is on tap for you:
Comfort and Joy (Saturday): Enjoy laughter, joy and the most beautiful music of the season at the renowned Turtle Creek Chorale’s classical music holiday concert “Comfort & Joy” at the McKinney Performing Arts Center. Tickets available online or by calling 972-562-5566. Shows on Saturday, 2 and 7 p.m. Tickets ($30/$20) are available for both performances from the MPAC ticket office (215-544-4630) or online.
Holiday Trail of Lights (Saturday and Sunday): Bundle up your family, get out of the house, and experience the most unique holiday lighting display in North Texas! Thousands of holiday lights, many synchronized to holiday music, light up a half mile Heard nature trail. Have a photo taken with Father Christmas and Mother Nature in a festive setting. Enjoy hot beverages and treats and live holiday music in the Heard outdoor amphitheater performed by local groups. At the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary. Tickets available online or by calling 972-562-5566.
Free Christmas Concert (Friday): Ring in the Christmas season with your McKinney Community Band as they perform traditional carols, holiday classics, and even an interesting twist on some holiday music. This is the perfect way to help make your season merry and bright! At the Christ Fellowship Church, 2801 Orchid Drive. The church coffee shop will be open prior to and during the performance with coffee, hot chocolate and Christmasy goodies available for purchase! Please join the all-volunteer McKinney Community Band in their first free public Christmas concert! 7:30 p.m.
Third Monday Trade Days (Friday-Sunday): Over 400 vendors offer almost anything you can imagine-unique gifts, delightful home décor, trendy clothing and accessories, sporting goods, antiques and collectibles, landscaping materials, tools, and small animals along with many specialty food concessions. Shoppers will find plenty of all-weather parking, clean restrooms, two ATMs, a heated Mall building, mobility cart rental, wagon and stroller rental, and a family-friendly atmosphere including a playground and train ride. 4550 W. University; 972-562-5466. Free admission; $5 parking Saturday and Sunday.
Romance of Christmas (Friday): This magical holiday experience features Nashville recording artist Erica Lane, with special guest vocalist Dustin Keele, along with their band and a surprise visitor from the North Pole. Erica Lane warms your heart with her silky smooth vocals and energetic Christmas tunes, plus enjoy a beautiful multi-media presentation and lights. At the McKinney Performing Arts Center, 8 p.m. Purchase tickets ($22/$20/$11) online or by calling 214-544-4630.
Art Gallery Exhibits:
- Garret Gallery: Annual Miniature and Small Works Show consisting of original 8 x 10 or smaller paintings; they’d make perfect Christmas gifts. 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361.
- Imaging on the Square: Featuring various local artists;109 S. Tennessee, 972-548-7575.
- Laura Moore Fine Art: James Malone;107 S Tennessee. 214-914-3630.
- Orisons Art: George Jones (pictured); 110 E. Louisiana, 972-529-1441.
Entertainment This Weekend
- Cadillac Pizza Pub: Open Mic Night with Mark Sena (Thurs.); Santa visits at 5:30 p.m.; Mojo Filter at 9 p.m. (Fri.); The Michael Lee Band (Sat.)
- Hank’s: Tyler Rogers Band (Thurs.); Roger Creager (Fri.); Bleu Edmondson (Sat.)
- Grand/Rick’s: Lynne Cadena (Thurs.); Buzz Andrews (Fri.); Jon Christopher Davis (Sat.)
- Grotto Live: Prophets & Outlaws (Fri.); Maylee Thomas (Sat.)
- Landon Winery: Steve Duncan (Fri.); Buzz Andrews (Sat.)
- Lone Star Wine Cellars: Happy Hour with Crystal Yates (pictured, Thurs.); Dove Creek Duo with Dean & Jeff (Fri.); John Griffith (Sat.)
- Spoons Cafe: Open Mic (Thur.); Live Music (Fri.-Sat.)