By Michele Stevens Bernard, TSB Entertainment Writer
Hello Summer! As if a summer weekend in Texas isn’t hot enough, check out all the ways McKinney plans to heat things up this week.
First, let’s talk about what you need to do to get ready for next weekend. Word on the street is there are still a few tickets left to next weekend’s much anticipated Sammy Kershaw concert at the McKinney Performing Arts Center. If you don’t already have yours, click here to grab them now. It’s okay. I’ll wait.
Got ’em? Good, because you are not going to want to miss an evening with Sammy. Since Kershaw hit the scene in the early 90’s, he has been tearing up the charts as one of the most consistent power hitters in country music, both with a chain of major hit records and with sold-out shows across the land. Let’s just say this: when the legendary George Jones describes him as “heir apparent” you know it’s a voice you’re going to want to hear live. Just a handful of Kershaw’s chart-toppers include “She Don’t Know She’s Beautiful, “Cadillac Style”, and my new favorite Sammy Kershaw song, “Better Than I Used To Be”. Be sure to check out the video below this article to hear for yourself.
Jamming In June continues tonight at Towne Lake Park when the McKinney Dance Band takes the stage. A subset of the McKinney Community Band, the Dance Band is always a crowd pleaser, what with their big band standards and other dance faves. Enjoy lawn seating (read: bring a blanket and/or lawn chair and a picnic basket). The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and goes till 9 p.m. towne Lake Park is located at 1405 Wilson Creek Parkway. For more information call 972-547-2690.
Nine-time Grammy Winning Kings of Swing Asleep At The Wheel play Hank’s Texas Grill Friday night. If you haven’t seen Asleep At The Wheel at least once in your Lone Star life, I’m not 100% sure you can actually call yourself a Texan. I’ll double-check, but just to be on the safe side, go ahead and click here to get your tickets now. I don’t think any of us want to leave something as serious as our heritage to chance. For those of us who already call ourselves fans, we are in good company. Asleep At The Wheel fans Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, George Strait and Van Morrison dig them too.
All this talk about singing and dancing can work up an appetite, so let’s take a detour to the kitchen. The kitchen isn’t my favorite room in the house, it can be a sweaty place to be, especially, if you happen to be watching celebrity chef Curtis Stone on your telly as you slice and dice. Be still my fan-girl heart, because Sunday, June 24, Curtis Stone will be right here in McKinney at Kitchenwares On The Square in downtown McKinney between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. We know him from
our-man-in-the-kitchen-dreams TLC and Bravo TV and from his feature on “The Biggest Loser“. Stone will be here on Saturday signing his new book and sharing information and showing some of his knew kitchen and cooking products. Reservations are required so call 972-400-0348 or email email@example.com to secure your place at the table.
If that’s not enough to keep you busy this weekend, check out these other hot offerings brought to us by our friends at the McKinney Convention and Visitors Bureau:
NIGHT LIFE AND MUSIC THIS WEEKEND JUNE 21-24
- Cadillac Pizza Pub: Open Mic (Thurs.); Colton O’Neil & Shades of Blue (Fri.); Blueblood (Sat.)
- Churchill’s: Psychic Night (Thurs.)
- Hank’s Texas Grill: Mike Ryan (Thurs.); Asleep at the Wheel (Fri.); Josh Weathers (Sat.)
- Grand Bar: Lynne Cadera (Thurs.); Mick & The Nighthawks (Fri.); Tyla Taylor (Sat.)
- Grotto Live: Jam Session (Thurs.); Jones Band (Fri.); Soma Lab (Sat.)
- Landon Winery: Steve Duncan (Fri.); Faron Gilbert (Sat.)
- Spoons Cafe: Open Mic (Thurs.); Live Music (Fri.- Sat.)
- Wales Manor: Toney Walsh Jazz Combo (972-542-0417 for more info)
ART GALLERY EXHIBITS
- The Garret Gallery: Found-object artist Jay Garrison; 111 E. Virginia; 972-548-9361
- Imaging On The Square: Local Artists; 109 S. Tennessee; 972-548-7575
- Laura Moore Fine Art: Laura Moore’s own work, “Habitant de Paris”, 107 s. tennessee, 214-914-3630.
- Orisons Art & Framing: Kristine Byars, Kim Englishbee, Barabara Mason; 110 E. Louisiana, 927-529-1441
- The Artist’s Loft 50% Off Clearance Sale; Everything goes at 110 E. Louisiana (upstairs) 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Call first to make sure someone is there. 972-345-6311.
Animal Superheroes: Heard Natural Science Museum, 972-562-5566. Also at the Heard, check out the Butterfly Garden and House.
SATURDAY JUNE 23
Group Bike Ride: Leave Cadence Cyclery in downtown McKinney at 7:20 a.m.
Farmers Market at Chestnut Square: 8 a.m. to noon at 315 S. Chestnut
Drum Circle: 10 a.m. Old Settlers Rec. Center, 1201 E. Louisiana. 214-641-0782
Franconia Brewing Tour: 11 a.m.; $5 per person for tour/tastings; 495 McKinney Pkwy.; 972-542-0705
Canine Healthfest: Vaccinations, activity testing, goodies. Myers Park, 7 a.m.
SUNDAY JUNE 24
Morgan Horse Club: Myers Park. 972-658-6456
Still don’t see what you’re looking for? Check out the TownSquareBuzz.com Community Events Calendar by clicking here. Feel free to add your own events to it while you’re there. You can also add your fun stuff in the comments section below.
Find me on Facebook at Michele Stevens Bernard or Follow me on Twitter @MicheleSBernard. If you like to collect recipes or future arts -n- crafts projects you will never find time to do, be my pal on Pinterest too.