Thursday , 21 June 2018

Collin County Rewind: This Week in History June 26 – July 2

As June closes and July begins, a variety of significant events, locally and nationally, had an impact historically and in some cases, are still touching our lives today.

In 1848, the Peter’s Colony contract expired, ending its potential to be the county seat of Collin County. The same year Joab Biggs organized a Methodist Church in the Bethel community northeast of Frisco.

In 1854, Plano received stage line service for the first time.

In 1858, the Sawyer brothers of Collin County purchase the line which ran from Clarksville in northeast Texas through McKinney and Plano to Austin. Also that year, a post office as established in Mantua, a community near the Collin and Grayson county line.

In the early 1860’s two military groups were organized in the county: the first by James W. Throckmorton was a company of mounted riflemen; the second was company K of the Fifth Regiment of Texas by D. C. Haynes.

In 1867, the bridge over Wilson Creek, located near present McKinney High School, was closed by the county commissioners. It was deemed unsafe because of heavy north/south traffic during the Civil War after the fall of Vicksburg when it became one of the major supply lines for the Confederacy.

In 1904, the Cotton Camp chapter of the Woodmen of the World held its annual picnic, which included a log rolling contest, in Farmersville.

In 1906, a fire destroyed the corn sheller at the Frisco Mill and Elevator Company. The loss was estimated at $10,000.

In 1908, the first car ran on the Interurban tracks in McKinney and a Christian church was organized in the community of Baccus.

In 1917, the first American troops arrived in France to participate in WWI.

In 1919, the Treaty of Versailles was signed, ending that war.

The last event that took place this week forever changed the face of our nation for the better – in 1964 President Lyndon Johnson signed into law a civil rights bill.

Contributed by Don Newsom, a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society.  Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years.  For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.

Check Also


McKinney, TX Fire Department Warns that Wild Fires are Not Only a Rural Problem

MCKINNEY, Texas (Oct. 19, 2015) – Reminiscent of 2011, wildland fires are ravaging the countryside ...

Montres Pas Cher Montres Pas Cher Imitacion de relojes Rolex baratos espa?a Rolex Replica Imitazione Di Orologi Maurice Lacroix Imitazione Di Orologi Longines