Many firsts occurred in our area as August ended and September began.
In 1844, George Washington Ford married Parmelia Langston. Based on official and unofficial records, this is believed to be first marriage in the area that would become Collin County in 1846.
In 1846, Henry Cook left Illinois for Texas. He and his family first settled near Carrollton, but soon moved to Plano near the Baccus Cemetery. The Cooks were one of the original families of the Peters Colony.
In 1855, the Little Flock Primitive Baptist Church of Farmersville was formed. It was the first church of the Baptist denomination to meet in Collin County.
In 1859, the East Fork of the Trinity River flooded 60 feet out of its banks just north of the current intersection of Highway 5 and FM 543, north of McKinney.
In 1903, the Donna post office was discontinued. It was one of nearly 50 post offices that were opened in communities in Collin County, but later closed because finances or dwindling population in the communities.
In 1906, the paperwork was signed for the building of the Texas Traction Company or Interurban, which passed through McKinney. It pretty much followed the Houston and Texas Central Railroad from Denison to Dallas. It began operation in July 1908 and was discontinued in December 1948. In McKinney, it entered on the west side of Pecan Grove Cemetery and veered west following Kentucky Street to the courthouse square. The station was just south of Louisiana Street. The garage was north of the square and south of the old library. There was also a power station north of town near the Ashburn Hospital, where the Job Corp is now located. One could ride the Interurban to Dallas and connect with other routes to Denton, Fort Worth, Corsicana, Cleburne, Waco and Terrell.
In 1922, A fire in Frisco burned the majority of the downtown area. Speculation was the it was arson as the result of rivalry between city merchants.
In 1932, the Security State Bank in Blue Ridge was robbed by 4 bandits. Two of them were reported to be, although never proven, the infamous Bonnie and Clyde. They or members of their gang had been reported to be in the area prior to the robbery.
In 1939, the gymnasium of the Chambersville Schools, north of McKinney, was destroyed by fire, shortly before the school year began. It was a tragic loss, being the largest facility for social and athletic events in the community.
Collin County Rewind is provided by Don Newsom, a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.