The following are the historical happenings in McKinney and Collin County for the week of October 9 through October 15:
In 1846, Henry Cook, an original Peters Colony member, and his caravan of six wagons arrived at Trinity Mills, near Carrollton. He later moved his family to land owned by the Haggard family, but finally settled near the present Baccus Cemetery.
In 1850, the Anna Baptist Church organized and met on the second Sunday of the month. That congregation is the forefather of the current First Baptist, Cavalry Baptist and Whiterock Baptist Churches of Anna.
In 1852, the Plano post office began operations. William Foreman was the first postmaster.
In 1856, a Presbyterian camp meeting on Wilson Creek west of current Highway 75 near the present El Dorado Country Club. The purpose of the meeting was to organize Presbyterians in the county and encourage the development of churches throughout the county.
In 1871, W. H. L. Wells and his brother James M. Wells arrived in Lebanon. They are the ancestors of the Wells family owned Wells Brothers Store in Plano.
In 1886, the town of Wylie became an official municipality.
In 1898, the Burris gin, the largest in Collin County, located northeast of downtown McKinney was destroyed by fire.
In 1904, the Rock Hill post office, located west of McKinney between current Custer Road and Highway 289 closed and patrons began receiving their mail through the Frisco post office.
In 1935, Sam Rayburn spoke in the town of Westminster, as part of his campaign to be reelected to the US House of Representatives. He was reelected and during that term he became Speaker of the House upon the death of William Bankhead.
In 1942, construction was started on Ashburn Hospital in McKinney. It later served as the Veterans Hospital and now is the Job Corp Center.
By contributing writer Don Newsom
Don Newsom is a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.