On Saturday, McKinney’s historic post office, now the Collin County History Museum, turned 100. TownSquareBuzz contributing writer, and historian, Don Newsom, dressed as a postmaster would have been during the early 1900’s, gave a presentaion on the history of the post offices in McKinney and Collin County.
Collin County Rewind
The following events in history occurred in the Collin County area during the last full week of October.
In 1866, the Fay post office in eastern Collin County was discontinued. Residents began receiving their mail at the Royce City post office.
In 1895, a fire in Plano destroyed 17 businesses on both sides of Mechanic Street.
In 1904 a runaway horse tried to cross a railroad trestle 3 miles north of McKinney, near the present Highway 380 overpass. It was caught when its legs dropped between the crossties. It took several men, using make shift equipment, most of the day to free the horse. Train service was also delayed. The horse was not injured seriously.
In 1910, two of McKinney’s major businesses: the Forsyth Machine Shop and the Wilcox Lumber Company were destroyed by fire.
In 1911, the post office on Virginia Street in McKinney opened for business. It was the fourth structure to serve as a post office in McKinney. It ceased being a post office in 1958 when it was replaced by a new building on Lamar Street. On Saturday, October 22, 2011, a 100 year celebration of its opening was held at the building, which is now owned by the county and under the care of the Collin County Historical Association, serving as a museum and research center.
In 1935, the most hopeful prospect of oil discovery in the county, the “North Collin County oil well” had reached a drilling depth of 3000 feet. As with many other attempts, it was not successful.
The same year, a 300-gallon gas tank exploded in Wylie, injuring one. The cause of the explosion was never determined.
Birthday cake (right) for McKinney Post Office baked by Kyra Efram Mayor Pro Tem, Travis Ussery, (below) cuts the cake