Tuesday , 22 May 2018

Collin County Rewind: A Look Back in History at the Week Sept. 18


Historically, present day McKinney began and other firsts occurred in the county during the week of September 18 through September 24.

In 1846, town lots were auctioned in Buckner, the forerunner of McKinney, for the purpose of identifying where businesses and residents would be located.

In 1891, a public petition was validated which resulted in the consolidation of schools, public and private, into the Plano Independent School District.

In 1895, the largest four mill in Plano, a locally coop owned business, was sold to the Alliance Milling Company, which had begun in 1866 in Denton County.

In 1899, the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization was begun in McKinney and the first corporate (city) court was established in Plano.

In 1904, a surprise party for Miss Willie Jasper on her 15th birthday was hosted by her paternal grandparents, original settlers of the Peters Colony.

In 1904, the Foote Baptist Church was organized. In 1994, the building was moved to the historic village at Chestnut Square in McKinney and rededicated as the Chapel at Chestnut Square. The same year, the town of Renner in southwest Collin County, petitioned the Cotton Belt Railroad to provide them passenger service which it did.

In 1938, a new post office building was opened in Farmersville. The building was constructed through the WPA program.

Check Also


McKinney, TX Fire Department Warns that Wild Fires are Not Only a Rural Problem

MCKINNEY, Texas (Oct. 19, 2015) – Reminiscent of 2011, wildland fires are ravaging the countryside ...

Montres Pas Cher Montres Pas Cher Imitacion de relojes Rolex baratos espa?a Rolex Replica Imitazione Di Orologi Maurice Lacroix Imitazione Di Orologi Longines