From fires to a first Methodist meeting, this week in history influened the Collin County area’s economic and religious growth.
In 1853, a post office was established at Highland, a community north of present day Melissa, on the stage line from Buckner to Bonham. The office was closed twenty years later.
In 1877, a Methodist camp meeting was held on Honey Creek, north of McKinney. It was the first attempt to establish that denomination in Collin County.
In 1880, Major W. E. Penn held a revival meeting at the Rowlett Baptist Church and brought in 66 new members, resulting in it becoming the largest Christian denomination in Collin County.
In 1888, the first map was filed for Wilson’s Switch, a community named after the Wilson family and the railroad intersection. The community later became Princeton.
In 1895, the Plano City Council approved a request to raise funds for a school library. At that time most of the public schools in Texas were overseen by town or city governments.
In 1903, the Lucas post office was discontinued. It had been established in 1888 and operated from the general store of Gabriel Lucas.
In 1904, the Plano Cotton Oil Company opened in Plano. The processing plant was erected and opened as a result of a contract with Crisco, which had begun competition with Wesson Oil as a producer of all vegetable shortening.
In 1912, thirty bales of cotton, which was about fifty percent of the cotton harvested that fall in Renner, and its main source of income, burned on the railroad platform in that community.
In 1912, a general merchandise store, the largest and one of only five business in the community of Murphy, burned.
In 1941, a migratory labor camp, which primarily produced onions, and was located near Princeton, was dedicated by Speaker of the House of Representatives, Sam Rayburn. It was part of the government program to provide jobs and shelter for the homeless during the Great Depression. In early 1942, it was converted to a German prisoners of war camp. While there, the German soldiers worked on farms in the area. In 1946, after WWII ended, it was converted back to a migratory camp. The site is located in the present Princeton Community Park.
Collin County Rewind is provided by Don Newsom, an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and a current board member of the Collin County Historical Society.