As September moved into October, the area lost its original founder, but experienced some beginnings that still exist today. The following are the historical happenings in McKinney and Collin County for the week of September 25 through October 1.
In 1843, Dr. William E. Throckmorton, founder of the first permanent settlement in the area died.
In 1874, the First Presbyterian Church of McKinney was organized and has conducted worship services continuously since then. The current building, located near the intersection of Redbud and White Streets in McKinney, houses the bell and many of the stained glass windows from the original building.
In 1876, a post office was established in the community of Blue Ridge in northeast Collin County.
In 1913, the McKinney Chamber of Commerce was founded.
In 1917, a southbound passenger train left the tracks near Celina. There were no causalities, but several people were injured. The wreckage and damage to the rails prevented traffic for several days.
In 1949, the First Baptist Church of Lavon was organized. The church still conducts its worship services on Main Street in Lavon, a community east of Wylie.
By contributing writer Don Newsom
Don Newsom is a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.