Establishment of organized religion played a major part during this week in history. Several of the early settlers of the area are associated with events that happened during this time period.
In 1846, the first congregation of the Christian denomination in North Texas was formed in the home of Collin McKinney, namesake for the county and city.
In 1869, Joseph Baines married Ruth Ament Huffman at Rowlett Baptist Church. Their grandson, Lyndon Baines Johnson, later became President of the United States.
In 1871, First Presbyterian Church of Plano organized. The congregation still worships at its present location on Jupiter Road.
In 1898, land was purchased by the City of Plano for the construction of an opera house and civic auditorium, which was completed on Avenue H in 1905.
In 1903, the post offices in the communities of Rhymer and Chambliss were closed.
In 1904, one could purchase a round trip ticket from McKinney to St. Louis on the Houston Texas Central Railroad for $13.05 and attend Texas Week at the World’s Fair
In 1910, the Bethel Baptist Church in Celina organized. The church is still operating in its facilities northeast of Celina.
In 1914, Comfort McMillen, a founding member of the Peters Colony and organizer of the Corinth Presbyterian Church, believed to be the oldest continuing church in the county, died at his home in present day Murphy.
In 1925, the Wilmeth School, located north of McKinney was discontinued. The school had been opened in 1846 by the J. B. Wilmeth family for their children and others in the community. It was run continuously for 79 years in school buildings and homes, except for a period during the Civil War when it was suspended.
Collin County Rewind is provided by Don Newsom, an avid historian and a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and a current board member of the Collin County Historical Society.