Life, during this week in the history of Collin County, was affected by heavy rains, fire, and the opening of new structures and businesses.
In 1835, a group of men met at San Felipe de Austin to form a temporary government, which was the beginning of the State of Texas.
In 1847, an election was held establishing the location of the town of McKinney.
In 1868, the Pike Baptist Church, near Blue Ridge, met for the first time after being organized earlier in the month. The church still conducts worship services.
In 1883, a meeting was called to organize the Empire School in that community northwest of Nevada. A boarding school and dormitory were built by members of the Masonic Lodge. The school burned in 1914, was rebuilt, and burned again in 1929. The Masonic Lodge moved to Nevada, but kept the Empire name. Now, a cemetery and the Masonic Lodge are the only evidences of the Empire Community.
In 1890, half of the north side of the square in Farmersville was destroyed by fire. Fifteen businesses were lost.
In 1900, the dam for the Plano city water works on Spring Creek washed out as the result of heavy rains, stopping the availability of public water for several weeks while the dam was being repaired.
In 1904, the survey was completed for the McKinney-Bonham Interurban by W. S. Millikin. The Eastern Traction Company later constructed the electrical powered line that stretched 77 miles through towns in North Central Texas. It began operations in 1907 and merged in 1916 with the Southern Traction Company to become the Texas Electric Railroad. The operation was closed following WWII.
In 1910, the Texas Cotton Mill Company, located in southeast McKinney, began operations. During the early 1960’s it was the largest denim manufacturer in the world. It ceased operations in 1969. The building is now used as an event center.
In 1924, the Nurses Home, an onsite residence for trainees and staff, was dedicated at McKinney City Hospital, south of the downtown area.
In 1938, the nationally known Stamps Quartet gave a performance at the Chambersville school.