Historically, the first week in October has produced some events that brought development to our area as well as some tragedies.
In 1872, the Houston and Texas Central Railroad made its first run from Galveston to the Red River coming through our area. The railway became active in 1852, but only from the Gulf Coast to central Texas. After the Civil War, construction began again and with the merger of other rail lines it became the first all rail route connecting Texas with St. Louis and the eastern part of the nation. It later became a part of the Southern Pacific Railroad.
In 1884, the town of Nevada surveyed in order to produce an official map of the town’s boundaries.
In 1904, Dr. Brown Medicine Company opened in Plano. The company began on the East coast in 1886 producing a seltzer made of celery seeds and sugar as a medicinal drink for children. Today, Dr. Brown’s is a soft drink made by Canada Dry and owned by Dr. Pepper Snaffle Group. It is popular in Jewish communities in New York and South Florida and comes in five flavors plus the original.
In 1905, the majority of the East side of the square in Farmersville was destroyed by fire. The same year, a late season tornado destroyed a substantial part of the community of Blue Ridge, killing seven people.
In 1939, a group of area musicians and singers held the first Collin County Singing Convention in Celina. Although the assembly has been suspended at times over the years, a similar meeting is still held at different locations on a regular basis.
In 1939, 54,949 bales of cotton were ginned in Collin County. Because of the Great Depression, this was the largest production since the mid 1920’s.
Contributed by Don Newsom, an avid historian and former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.