The following events occurred during this week in our area’s history.
In 1857, Mary Susanna Lunsford, 6 years old, began her trip to Collin County with her family from Oldam, Kentucky. At 19 she married Richard Peel Irwin. They were early settlers in the Hackberry Bluff area in north west Collin County and still have descendents living in the area today.
In 1866, the Pike Baptist Church was organized and began meeting on the third Sunday of the month. The church is still functional in northeast Collin County near the communities of Leonard, Blue Ridge, Trenton and Celeste.
In 1879, the first business in Celina started when W. C. Burris and T. J. Mulkey opened a general merchandise store.
In 1882, the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, organized in 1857, disbanded. Its members split between two churches: the Nevada Baptist and the Copeville Baptist.
In 1883, the first telephone exchange was established in McKinney.
In 1884, the First Baptist Church of Melissa was organized with the majority of its membership coming from the nearby Highland Baptist Church.
In 1885, the “McKinney Examiner” began publication and continued well into the twentieth century.
In 1892, all the Farmersville druggists sign an agreement to not sell liquor. This agreement was honored even after prohibition was repealed in the first quarter of the twentieth century.
In 1912, the famous Barnum & Bailey circus presented performances in McKinney as a part of its national tour.
Contributed by Don Newsom, former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and avid historian.