The following events took place during this week in our history.
In 1841, the second Peters’ Colony contract was signed. The colony was an impresario grant awarded by the Republic of Texas earlier in the year to twenty American and English investors led by William S. Peters. The original boundaries of the colony ran south sixty miles from the Red River northeast of present Denison, then west twenty two miles, then north to the Red River, then east to the origin. The founders had to settle two hundred families from outside the Republic over a three year period who were given 320 acres for a single man or 640 for a family. Lack of available land in less than a year resulted in the second contract, which extended the boundaries forty miles southward and increased the number of families over the three year period to 800. Over the next twenty years, the colony that helped settle North Texas required nearly twenty legislative enactments from the Republic and later the State of Texas to resolve issues between the administrators of the grants and the settlers.
In 1885, the Pike post office was established. It continued operations until 1932.
In 1888, T. A. Coleman was elected the first County Superintendent of Public Instruction in Collin County. The election of a county school board and Mr. Coleman was the beginning of the consolidation of all the private, home and small community schools in the county into one entity and one governing board.
In 1896, a resolution was passed in Plano to suspend school for Thanksgiving.
In 1904, Plano passed an ordinance against lemonade stands on public streets as the result of the creation of a town Health Department and policies related to serving foods to the public.
In 1905, cotton gins in Wylie and St. Paul were destroyed by fire. Many believed that it was arson to eliminated some of the competition in the booming cotton processing market in the area.
Contributed by Don Newsom, former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and avid historian. Don is currently a member of the North Texas History Center’s Board of Directors.