These following events in Collin County history occurred during mid November.
In 1846, George Henry Herndon was born. He is believed to be the first white male born in Collin County.
In 1847, the a meeting of the Methodist denomination in Plano occurred in the home of Joseph and Elizabeth Russell and started the first congregation.
In 1883, the first sidewalks were authorized to be constructed in Plano.
In 1893, the leaders of Plano initiated regulations for itinerant workers.
In 1903, the Foote and Shepton post offices were discontinued as a result of the legislation creating free rural mail delivery. Foote residents began receiving their mail from the McKinney office and Shepton from the Plano office.
In 1915, The Federation of Women’s Clubs was organized in McKinney. The organization’s original purpose at the local, state and national level was to support suffrage for women. The organization still exists, composed of various women’s clubs in the area, with its primary purpose being community service.
In 1920, the original Lions Club of McKinney organized.
In 1924, the Woolworth building on west side of the square in McKinney was destroyed by fire.
In 1932, a meteor shower was seen over Collin County and most of the area. Locals, particularly Democrats, said with a gleam in their eye that it was “God’s” celebration of Franklin D. Roosevelt being elected President.
In 1938, fire destroyed most of the structure that housed the First Presbyterian Church in Plano. The building, located on current Highway 5, was renovated and still continues services today, but at a different location on Jupiter Road.
In 1942, the Clear Lake post office was discontinued after 60 years. The community original built along the east/west railway had basically become a ghost town. The residents began receiving their mail through the Lavon or Josephine post offices.
Collin County Rewind in provided by contributing writer, Don Newsom. Newsom, who is a member of the Collin County Historical Society Board of Directors, is an avid historian and was Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD.