Historically, as May ended and June began, some significant events happened in our area, or around the world, that had great impact then and still do today.
In 1783, two brothers in France publicly demonstrated a device that has become a common site in the sky over Collin County, the hot air balloon.
In 1846, as a result of action by local and state government, and the U. S. Post Office Department, the name of the county seat of Collin County was changed from Buckner to McKinney.
In 1862, Charles Gough died on his way home to the county after the Civil War. He was the second person to be buried in the historic Rowlett Cemetery.
In 1873, the Texas legislature passed an act allowing Plano, Weston, and Farmersville to incorporate. John S. Rike became the first mayor of Farmersville.
In 1875, a charter was granted to form a Masonic lodge in Rhea’s Mill, located in northwest Collin County.
In 1878, a post office was established in Copeville, the same year the one in Sister Grove was discontinued.
In 1886, a post office was opened in the Valdasta community.
In 1908, halfway around the world, one of our modern curses and blessings began when oil was discovered in Iran.
In 1918, the town of Frisco purchased its first fire truck.
In 1919, the first Rotary Club was formed in McKinney. That club still meets weekly.
In 1924, a measure passed by Congress and signed by President Calvin Coolidge, granted American citizenship to all U. S. born American Indians, some lived in the county, but many resided north of the area.
In 1925, the Collin County chapter of the KKK disbanded.
In 1946, the V. A. Hospital was dedicated in McKinney. The facility, located near the intersections of Highways 5 and 380, houses the Job Corp program today.
On June 5, 1968, shortly after midnight, Senator Robert Kennedy, a strong presidential candidate, was assassinated in Los Angeles.
In 1971, the last Monday in May was designated as a national holiday to honor those who have died in our nation’s wars. The observance was begun in 1866 to honor those killed in the Civil War and was called Decoration Day, but changed to Memorial Day in 1882.
Contributed by Don Newsom, a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.