Looking back at history, the weeks in early June have produced temporary and long term events that affect our area.
In 1776, the Continental Congress formed a committee to draft a Declaration of Independence calling for freedom from Great Britain.
In 1850, the community of Spring Creek had a post office established with James C. Vance, postmaster.
In 1878, a north bound train derailed on the trestle over Wilson Creek. southeast of McKinney, killing one person. The same year the Pleasant Garden Primitive Baptist Church begin meeting in Blue Ridge.
In 1885, Plano enacted its first “Blue Law”, limiting the sale of certain products on Sunday. “Blue Laws” when enacted stayed in place in most communities in the area until the later part of the 20th century.
In 1886, a post office was established in Wylie and at the same time the office in the community of Nickelville was closed.
In 1894, leaders of Plano enacted a statute creating prohibition, nearly two decades before it became a national law.
In 1902, an IOOF lodge was formed and began meeting in the Donna community.
In 1914, the McKinney Federated Women’s Clubs dedicated Finch Park to the city of McKinney.
In 1936, eleven years after it was designated a U. S. highway, Highway 75, a two lane paved road, opened in Collin County with a big celebration.
In 1940, numerous tornadoes were sighted near Celina. Some accounts reported as many as a dozen.
In 1944, the “D-Day” invasion of France at Normandy began. Soldiers from this area were involved and some were killed or wounded.
In 1987, President Reagan, during a visit to Berlin, challenged the Soviet Union to “tear down this wall”, the physical barrier between East and West Berlin built following WW II.
By contributing writer, Don Newsom, who is a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.