Most of the historical events in Collin County that have occurred the middle of June have indicated that the county was developing, but some have been tragic.
In 1858, the White Rock Lodge # 234 was organized in the community of Frankford. Thirty years and thirty five years later Masonic Lodge # 650 was chartered in the East Fork community and an IOOF lodge was formed in Altoga.
In 1861, a voluntary infantry unit under the command of Captain J. M. Bound was sworn in to the Confederate army.
In 1868, a Presbyterian church was organized in Farmersville.
In 1871, a long running feud between two pioneer families; the Lees and Peacocks, ended when Lewis Peacock, patriarch of his family, was killed.
In 1889, a fire destroyed most of the buildings on the southeast corner of Main and Mechanic Streets in Plano.
In 1898, the first commercial watch repair shop in the county was opened by Arch Weatherford in Maye’s Grocery in Plano.
Shortly after the 20th century began, the post office in Lebanon was discontinued; the State 5th Senatorial District held its convention in Farmersville; the town of Princeton was incorporated; and a mill and grain elevator complex was completed in Celina.
During this period some long lasting events have happened at the national level, three of them related to our flag.
In 1777, the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as the national flag.
In 1943, during WW II, the Supreme Court ruled school children in public schools could not be forced to salute that flag.
In 1952, the words, “under God“, were added to the Pledge of Allegiance and in 2004, the Supreme Court ruled that the words stay in the Pledge.
In 1903, the Ford Motor Company was incorporated bringing into existence the assembly line process of producing products.
In 1910, Father’s Day was celebrated for the first time in Spokane, Washington.
Contributed by Don Newsom, a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.