Local historical happenings the week of July 10 – July 16:
In 1846,the first county wide election was conducted.
In 1874, William L. Meroney, member of a prominent founding family, received a medical degree.
In 1884, the lower floor of the IOOF building was purchased by a group that began operations as the Plano National Bank.
In 1890, a Baptist church was organized and began meeting in the community of Nevada in southeast Collin County.
In 1902, one of the largest commercial businesses in the county, Shain’s Meat Packing Plant in McKinney, was destroyed by fire.
In 1903, T. T. Emerson became the first owner of an automobile in McKinney.
In 1904, J. L. Looney, a local businessman was elected to the state senate.
In 1909, automobiles were so common in Plano, that a speed limit of 7 mph was established to help control the traffic.
In 1927, a Spanish American War veterans group was organized in McKinney and named in honor of Henry A. Camp.
Some interesting things happened outside the county.
In recent years, a vice president accidentally shot a friend on a hunting trip in South Texas, but in 1804, Vice President Aaron Burr mortally wounded former Treasury Secretary, Alexander Hamilton, during a duel.
In 1862, during the Civil War, Congress authorized the Congressional Medal of Honor.
In 1909, Congress passed the 16th Amendment creating the federal income tax. It became law four years later when it was finally ratified by enough states.
In 1984, Geraldine Ferraro became the first woman to run on a major party presidential ticket.
In 1988, a Texan, Lloyd Bentsen was named by the Democrats as their vice presidential candidate.
By contributing writer, Don Newsom. Don is a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.