In our area’s history during the week of August 21, the following events occurred: @wildblue.net>
In 1842 Judge William Cornelius Andrews, Jr. was born in Tennessee. A veteran of Civil War, he came to McKinney in 1877 as widower with 5 children. Two years later he married Tobiathia Scott. They had nine children. In 1899 he and his wife, along with their eight children, moved to Indian Territory where their ninth child was born. Andrews was the first Justice of the Peace in Oklahoma after it became a state. He later became a school superintendent and preacher. His five older children stayed in McKinney where many of their descendants still live as seventh and eighth generation Collin County residents.
In 1881, the entire business section of Plano, except for a saloon, burned to the ground. Destroyed in the fire were all the official records from the beginning of the town’s settlement in 1845. The records were stored in the Mayor and City Clerks’ offices located in the back of Kellner’s Saddle Shop. As a result of the fire, the city fathers passed ordinances making it illegal to drop flammable materials on public streets. They also put into place a requirement that all devices used for containing fires be inspected regularly by the Town Marshall.
In 1882, a Cumberland Presbyterian Church was established at McMinn Chapel, a community 3 miles north of Nevada.
In 1888, the first map, indicating the boundaries of the town of Princeton, was filed in the county and state offices.
In 1891, the West Shady Grove Baptist Church was started near the community of Desert, which is northeast of McKinney where the counties of Collin, Grayson and Fannin meet. One of the county’s historic cemeteries is located there.
In 1904, the first legal horse race in North Texas, outside of those held at the State Fair Grounds, was held at Bowman Training Track in Plano.
In 1904, a camp meeting celebrating the 60th anniversary of the founding of the community, was held at Walnut Grove. The community was located eight miles northwest of McKinney on what is now Custer Road or FM 2478.
In 1905, the first sanctioned auto race in the county began and ended at Old Settlers Park in conjunction with the annual picnic. The winning average speed was 40 mph.
In 1913, the south side of the square in the town of Altoga burned. Most of the seven businesses and post office were destroyed or damaged.
In 1938 the Milligan School House burned. Though not in use at the time, the original school building, one of the earliest in the county, was erected in the late 1850’s in the community located east of McKinney.@wildblue.net>
Collin County Rewind is provided by Don Newsom, a former Superintendent of Schools for Celina ISD and a current board member of the Collin County Historical Society.