The following historical events occurred in McKinney and Collin County during the first week of August:
In 1846, John McGarrah donated 50 acres of land for the town site of Buckner, the first county seat. The same year the first church in the county was founded, the Corinth Presbyterian Church in Parker.
In 1848, the first Chief Justice (now called the County Judge), Pleasant Wilson, and the first Tax Assessor/Collector, George McKinney, were elected.
In 1856, Jacob Routh became the first county resident to be ordained into the ministry.
In 1880, a post office was established in Nevada.
In 1903, stringed bands, which were very popular at the time, presented concerts in Princeton and the Bloomdale community.
In 1910, the “Allen Enterprise”, a long running newspaper was started.
In 1915, Texas Power & Light bought electric distribution plants in Plano, Melissa, Anna, Howe, Richardson and Vickery and became the long term provider of that utility.
In 1922, the historic Curtsinger Drug Store opened in Frisco.
In 1925, Highway 75 (now Highway 5) was designated a U. S. Highway.
In 1945, an atomic bomb (the first use of a nuclear weapon in warfare) was dropped on Hiroshima, resulting in an estimated 140,000 deaths.
In 1985, a Delta passenger plane crashed at DFW International, killing over 130 people.
Contributed by Don Newsom. Don Newsom is a former superintendent of the Celina ISD and a board member of the Collin County Historical Society. Don and his wife Carol have been residents of the North Texas area for over 30 years. For the last 20 years, they have resided in rural Collin County in a home built in 1890.